Muscle Mass II Study
Study TypeHealthy Aging
Study PurposeThe purpose of this research study is to examine a new method of measuring muscle mass using an investigational drug, deuterated creatine (Creatine-D3).
About the Study
Being able to measure muscle mass accurately is very important in evaluating people with muscle wasting conditions associated with age and chronic illness, such as congestive heart failure (CHF) or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). This is particularly important in order to assess the severity of muscle loss and response to therapy. Currently, there are no approved diagnostic methods for this.
Today’s most commonly used method of estimating lean body mass involves X-ray and does not measure muscle directly. This may not be as accurate due to different fluid content in the body. Using Creatine-D3, the Muscle Mass II study will examine a new method of evaluating muscle mass.
- Creatine is a naturally occurring substance present in muscle that is used for energy
- Deuterium is a stable, naturally occurring, non-radioactive isotope of hydrogen
- 1 Screening visit
- 2 Inpatient stays lasting 6 nights
- 2 Overnight follow-up visit after inpatient stay (~ 20 hours)
- Physical exam, height, weight, vitals
- Blood draws
- DXA and MRI scans
- Continuous collection of urine throughout inpatient stays
- Fasting during inpatient stays (each day from 10:00pm-12:00pm)
- Healthy elderly
- Diagnosed with Congestive Heart Failure (CHF)
- Diagnosed with Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)
Number of visits:
Eligible participants will receive the study drug once per inpatient stay. All study-related procedures will be provided at no cost to the participant.
- Healthy elderly: 65-85
- Diagnosed with Congestive Heart Failure (CHF): 50-85
- Diagnosed with Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD): 50-85
- Weight: BMI (18-34) calculate your BMI
Study DurationApproximately 8 months
CompensationEarn up to $2,100 for participation.
Study ContactIf you are interested in volunteering for the MUSCLE MASS II study, click here to screen online, call 225-763-3000 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
If you think you may be eligible, please click the button below to screen online.GET STARTED
Please do not fill out this questionnaire for anyone other than yourself unless you are their legal guardian.
If you know someone who may be interested please direct them to the site or have them call us directly at 225-763-3000.