TIGER Kids Study
The TIGER Kids research study is looking at ways to improve the overall health of future generations. The study will evaluate ways to: increase kids' physical activity and reduce sedentary behavior (help kids move more and sit less), encourage healthy eating, and assess other factors that may influence school performance, body image, stress and mood.
Researchers are using state-of-the-art technology, including activity trackers and global positioning systems (GPS) to monitor physical activity, advanced imaging (MRI and DXA) to measure body fat, and mobile phone messages sent through an app to help identify what motivates kids to make healthy choices.
About the Study
TIGER Kids participants will attend an orientation session at Pennington Biomedical to learn about the study and receive activity tracking tools. Participants will then visit Pennington Biomedical's Translational Research Center for Children (TReCC) twice during the study - one visit after the orientation session and one visit two years later.
TIGER Kids participants will also receive valuable health information at no cost. Each participant is eligible to receive a copy of:
- their lab work; including blood sugar and cholesterol tests;
- a printout of their DXA scan, which includes total body fat, total muscle mass, total lean mass and bone density readings; and
- a copy of body measurement data including height, weight, waist circumference, body mass index, blood pressure and heart rate.
- 3 study visits over a period of 2 years (1 orientation + 2 study visits)
- Body measurements (height, weight, and waist size)
- Blood pressure
- Blood Tests
- Body Composition Tests (advanced imaging using DXA and MRI)
- Wear an activity monitor, GPS tracker, and respond to messages via a mobile app for 7 days
Number of Visits:
- Be between 10 and 16 years old
- Not be on a restrictive diet
To qualify, participants in this study should:
Study DurationParticipation in this study includes 3 study visits over a period of 2 years (1 orientation + 2 study visits).
CompensationTotal compensation for the completion of this study is $100.
Study ContactParents, are you ready to see if your child qualifies for the TIGER Kids study? Visit https://my.pbrc.edu/clinic/screener/?study=0570-0000 to screen online or call 225-763-3000.
If you think you may be eligible, please click the button below to screen online.GET STARTED
Please do not fill out this questionnaire for anyone other than yourself unless you are their legal guardian.
If you know someone who may be interested please direct them to the site or have them call us directly at 225-763-3000.