Study TypeWomen's Health
Study PurposeThe IMAGINE research study will assess how a pregnant mother’s metabolism may set the stage for her child’s future health after it is born. Our metabolism is how our bodies convert food into fuel to power everything we do.
About the Study
Imagine knowing how to possibly impact the health of your baby, not only during pregnancy, but throughout his or her life by the choices you make while you are pregnant. The IMAGINE research study will follow pregnant mothers and their babies after birth to explore how certain health characteristics may be passed from mom to baby.
**For the first portion of the study, researchers are seeking mothers with gestational diabetes.**
- 1 screening visit
- 1 clinic visit during pregnancy
- 1 visit by Pennington Biomedical researchers to the hospital at the time of your delivery
- 1 clinic visit for your baby when he or she is 10-30 days old
- Body measurements (height, weight, etc.)
- Vital signs (blood pressure, pulse, etc.)
- Review of medical records
- Blood test
- BodPod Scan (to measure body fat)
- Meal test (to measure metabolism)
- Placenta/umbilical cord collection at the time of delivery
Number of Visits:
- Be a women less than 35 weeks pregnant
- Be 18 – 40 years old
- Have a Body Mass Index between 20 - 40 prior to becoming pregnant calculate your BMI
- Have completed an oral glucose tolerance test with your physician during pregnancy
- Have gestational diabetes
- Be willing to enroll the infant in the research study after birth
To qualify for this research study, participants should:
Study DurationParticipation in this research study will last approximately 4 months.
CompensationParticipants will receive up to $250 upon completion of the study.
If you would like to discuss this research study in more detail or have any questions, a member of the Reproductive Endocrinology and Women’s Health Laboratory is available at 225-763-2725.
If you think you may be eligible, please click the button below to screen online.GET STARTED
Please do not fill out this questionnaire for anyone other than yourself unless you are their legal guardian.
If you know someone who may be interested please direct them to the site or have them call us directly at 225-763-3000.