Study TypeGeneral Health & Wellbeing
About the Study
Is there a family link to developing diabetes?
There is evidence that those individuals who have family members with diabetes have a higher risk of developing the disease in the future compared to people without a family history. One possible link to this greater risk is the mothers’ health during pregnancy. This research study is looking for young adults and their brother and/or sister to explore this link.
- 1 Screening visit
- 1 Overnight visit, approximately 32 hours
- Metabolic chamber
- Muscle biopsy
- Oral Glucose Tolerance Test (OGTT)
- DXA scan
- MRI SAT/VAT
Number of visits:
All study-related materials and procedures will be done at no cost to participants.
- Age: 18-34 years old
- Weight: BMI (18-35) calculate your BMI
- Have a sibling (a brother or sister from same mother and father) willing and eligible to participate
- Mother must have had diabetes with the youngest sibling, but not the oldest