Eric Ravussin, Ph.D.
Director Nutrition Obesity Research Center
Douglas L. Gordon Chair in Diabetes and Metabolism
Associate Executive Director of Obesity and Diabetes
John S McIlhenny Skeletal Muscle Physiology
Associate Executive Director for Obesity and Diabetes
Ph.D., University of Lausanne, Lausanne, Switzerland, 1980, Human Physiology
Dr Ravussin is a world expert in the conduct of translational research in obesity and diabetes. He has conducted numerous clinical investigations on measures of energy balance and carbohydrate metabolism in obese and diabetic participants. Over the past 12 years, he has established a wet lab studying muscle and adipose tissue to try to understand the cross talk between these 2 tissues as determinants of whole body nutrient partitioning and insulin sensitivity. He has published more than 410 peer reviewed manuscript in the field of obesity, type 2 diabetes and aging. He has mentored more than 50 postdoctoral fellows. His major interests in translational research are, impact of caloric restriction on biomarkers of aging, mechanisms of weight loss relapse, strategies to delay the onset of diabetes in pre-diabetic people, nutritional programing.
1. Robbins, Ravussin. Unlocking the Barriers to Improved Functional Capacity in the Elderly: Rationale and Design for the Fit for Life Trial. Journal of Gerontology: Medical Sciences 2012. In Press
2. Johannsen DL, Galgani JE, Johannsen NM, Zhang Z, Covington JD, Ravussin E. Effect of short-term thyroxine administration on energy metabolism and mitochondrial efficiency in humans. PLoS One. 2012; 7(7):e40837. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0040837. Epub 2012 Jul 26. PMCID: PMC3406028
3. Gupta AK, Johnson WD, Johannsen D, Ravussin E. Cardiovascular risk escalation with caloric excess: a prospective demonstration of the mechanics in healthy adults. Cardiovascular Diabetology 2013, 12:23 (24 January 2013) In Press PMID: 23347533
4. Kim Sangkyu, Welsh David, Ravussin Eric, Welsch Michael, Cherry Katie, Myers Leann, Jazwinski S. Michal. Resting metabolic rate is elevated in frail elderly individuals. Journals of Gerontology Biological Science 2013, In Revision
5. Donald M. Whiting M.D., Nestor D. Tomycz M.D., Julian Bailes M.D., Lilian de Jonge Ph.D., Virgile Lecoultre Ph.D., Bryan Wilent Ph.D., Dunbar Alcindor M.D., E. Richard Prostko M.D., Boyle Cheng Ph.D., Cynthia Angle R.N., Diane Cantella R.N., Benjamin B. Whiting B.S., J. Scott Mizes Ph.D., Kirk W. Finnis Ph.D., Eric Ravussin Ph.D., Michael Y. Oh M.D. Lateral hypothalamic area deep brain stimulation for refractory obesity: a pilot study with preliminary data on safety, body weight, and energy metabolism. Clinical article: Journal of Neurosurgery April 5, 2013, In Press PMID 23560573
6. Tam CS, Covington JD, Ravussin E. Response to low macrophage content in diabetic and aging human skeletal muscle. Obesity (Silver Springs) Jan 2013 PMID: 23401144 (In process)
7. Tam CS, Ravussin E. Response to comment on: Tam et al. Defininng insulin resitance from hperinsulinemic-euglycemic clamps. Diabetes Care 2012; 35: 1605-1610. Diabetes Care Jan 2013 PMID: 23264294.
8. Diana M. Thomas, Carl Bredlau, Anja Bosy-Westphal, Manfred Mueller, Wei Shen, Dympna Gallagher, Yuna Maeda, Andre McDougall, Courtney M. Peterson, Eric Ravussin, and Stephen B. Heymsfield. Relationships between body roundness with body fat and visceral adipose tissue emerging from a new geometrical model. Obesity (Silver Springs). March 21 2013. PMID: 23519954. (Epub Ahead of Print)
9. Galgani JE, Kelley DE, Albu JB, Krakoff J, Smith SR, Bray GA, Ravussin E; the Look AHEAD Adipose Research Group. Adipose tissue expression of adipose (WDTC1) gene is associated with lower fat mass and enhance insulin sensitivity in humans. Obesity (Silver Spring). March 20 2013 PMID: 23512946 (Epub Ahead of Print)
10. Lam YY, Peterson CM, Ravussin E. Resveratrol vs. calorie restriction: Data from rodents to humans. Experimental Gerontology. April 25 2013 PMID 23624181 (Epub Ahead of Print In Process)
11. Virgile Lecoultre, Courtney Peterson, Jeffrey Covington, Philip Ebenezer, Elizabeth Frost, Jean-Marx Schwartz, and Eric Ravussin. Ten nigths of moderate hypoxia improves insulin sensitivity in obese humans. Diabetes Care (Submitted June 2013 In Press)
12. Leanne M. Redman, Willaim E. Kraus, Manju Bhapkar, Sai Krupa Das, Susan B. Racette, Croby K. Martin, Luigi Fontana, William W. Wong, Susan B. Roberts, and Eric Ravussin. Energy requirements in non-obese men and women: results from CALERIE. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition (Submitted June 2013 In Revision)
13. Francesco Piacenza, Marco Malavoltam Andrea Basso, Laura Costarelli, Robertina Giacconi, Eric Ravussin, and Eugenio Mocchegiani. Effect of six-month caloric restriction on copper bound ceruloplasmin in adult overweight subjects. Clinical Nutrition and Aging (Submitted June 2013 In press).
14. Schoeller DA, Thomas D, Archer E, Hemsfiedl SB, Blair SN, Goran MI, Hill JO, Atikins RL, Corkey BE, Foreyt J, Dhurandhar NV, Kral JG, Halld KD, Hansen BC, Heitmann BL, Ravussin E, Allison DB. Self-report based estimates of energy intake offer and inadequate basis for scientific conclusions.. Americal Journal of Clincal Nutrtion. June 2013 PMID 23689494 (In process).
15. Harrington DM, Martin CK, Ravussin E, Katzmarzyk PT. Activity related energy expenditure, appetite and energy intake. Potential implications for weight management. Appetite. August 2013 PMID 23523668 (In Process).