Gang Hu, MD, MPH, PhD, FAHAAssistant professor & Director, Chronic Disease Epidemiology Lab
Adjunct assistant professor, School of Public Health, LSU Health Sciences Center (LSUHSC)
Adjunct assistant professor, School of Human Ecology, LSU
Chronic Disease Epidemiology
EDUCATIONM.D., Tianjin Medical University, Tianjin, China, 1989
M.P.H., University of Kuopio, Kuopio, Finland, 2000
Ph.D., University of Kuopio, Kuopio, Finland, 2001
Docent (Adjunct professor), University of Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland, 2005, Public Health
RESEARCH INTERESTSDr. Gang Hu's research interests are focused on the role of lifestyle factors, classical chronic disease risk factors and their interactions on the risk of several chronic diseases, including coronary heart disease, stroke, heart failure, diabetes, cancer and Parkinson’s disease. Dr. Hu is collaborating with several large-scale epidemiological studies and clinical trials, including the Louisiana State University Hospital-based Longitudinal Study (LSUHLS), the FINRISK (also called FINMONICA) Study, Tianjin Children Obesity Study, and Tianjin Gestational Diabetes Prevention Project.
Dr. Hu’s specific interests include:
1. Different kinds of physical activity (occupational, commuting, and leisure time), obesity and their combined effects on the risk of several chronic diseases (type 2 diabetes, hypertension, coronary heart disease, heart failure, stroke, and cancer);
2. Insulin resistance, glucose tolerance, the metabolic syndrome and the risks of type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular disease;
3. Classical vascular risk factors and medicine treatments on the risks of cardiovascular disease and cancer among diabetic patients;
4. Coffee and alcohol consumption and the risk of several chronic diseases;
5). Dietary factors and the risk of several chronic diseases;
6). The interaction in lifestyle and genetic factors on the risk of type 2 diabetes in women with gestational diabetes.
SELECTED PUBLICATIONS10 most important articles from 190 publications.
More publications, please see http://labs.pbrc.edu/chronicdisease/publications.htm
1. Hu G, Eriksson JG, Barengo NC, Lakka TA, Valle TT, Nissinen A, Jousilahti P, Tuomilehto J. Occupational, commuting, and leisure time physical activity in relation to total and cardiovascular mortality among Finnish subjects with type 2 diabetes. Circulation 2004; 110: 666-673.
2. Hu G, Lindström J, Valle TT, Eriksson JG, Jousilahti P, Silventoinen K, Qiao Q, Tuomilehto J. Physical activity, body mass index, and risk of type 2 diabetes in patients with normal and impaired glucose regulation. Archive of Internal Medicine 2004; 164:892-896.
3. Hu G, Qiao Q, Tuomilehto J. Balkau B, Borch-Johnsen K, Pyörälä K for the DECODE Study Group. Prevalence of the metabolic syndrome and its relation to all-cause and cardiovascular mortality in nondiabetic European men and women. Archive of Internal Medicine 2004; 164: 1066-1076.
4. Tuomilehto J, Hu G, Bidel S, Lindström J, Jousilahti P. Coffee consumption and risk of type 2 diabetes mellitus among middle-aged Finnish men and women. The Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) 2004; 291: 1213-1219.
5. Hu G, Jousilahti P, Qiao Q, Peltonen M, Katoh S, Tuomilehto J The impact of diabetes and myocardial infarction at baseline and during follow-up on cardiovascular mortality. Journal of the American College of Cardiology 2005; 45: 1413-1418.
6. Hu G, Tuomilehto J, Silventoinen K, Sarti C, Männistö S, Jousilahti P. Body mass index, waist circumference and waist-to-hip ratio on the risk of total and type-specific stroke. Archive of Internal Medicine 2007; 167: 1420-1427.
7. Hu G, Tuomilehto J, Pukkala E, Hakulinen T, Antikainen R, Vartiainen E, Jousilahti P. Joint effects of coffee consumption and serum gamma-glutamyltransferase on the risk of liver cancer. Hepatology 2008; 48: 129-136.
8. Hu G, Jousilahti P, Antikainen R, Katzmarzyk PT, Tuomilehto J. Joint effects of physical activity, body mass index, waist circumference and waist-hip ratio with the risk of heart failure. Circulation 2010; 121: 237-244.
9. Wang Y, Tuomilehto J, Jousilahti P, Antikainen R, Mähönen M, Katzmarzyk PT, Hu G. Occupational, commuting and leisure-time physical activity in relation to heart failure among Finnish men and women. Journal of the American College of Cardiology 2010; 56: 1140-1148.
10. Zhang Y, Tuomilehto J, Jousilahti P, Wang Y, Antikainen R, Hu G. Lifestyle Factors on the Risks of Ischemic and Hemorrhagic Stroke. Archive of Internal Medicine 2011; 171: 1811-1818. ^ top