EDUCATIONPhD, Foods and Nutrition, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN, USA
RESEARCH INTERESTSDr. Apolzan’s research interests involve overseeing and managing human clinical intervention trials examining nutritional, physical activity, and body weight outcomes across the lifespan. He has experience with clinic-based and mHealth interventions. He also has worked extensively with the remote food photograph method (RFPM) and SmartIntake© app. Overall, he conducts translational research in the areas of human clinical nutrition, exercise physiology, and obesity to further reduce disease prevalence.
SELECTED PUBLICATIONS1. Correa JB, Apolzan JW, Shepard DN, Heil DP, Rood JC, and CK Martin. The ability of physical activity monitors to predict weight loss, weight maintenance, and estimate energy expenditure. Appl Physiol Nutr Metab (In Press)
2. Martin CK, Gilmore LA, Apolzan JW, Myers CA, Thomas DM, Redman LM. Smartloss: A Personalized Mobile Health Intervention for Weight Management and Health Promotion. JMIR Mhealth Uhealth 2016;4(1):e18. PMID: 26983937.
3. Apolzan JW, Myers CA, Cowley AD, Brady H, Hsia DS, Stewart TM, Redman LM, Martin CK. Examination of the reliability and validity of the Mindful Eating Questionnaire in pregnant women. Appetite 2016;100:142-51. PMID: 26879222.
4. Harris RB, Apolzan JW. Hexosamine biosynthetic pathway activity in leptin resistant sucrose-drinking rats. Physiology & behavior 2015;138:208-18. PMID: 25446204.
5. Apolzan JW, Bray GA, Smith SR, de Jonge L, Rood J, Han H, Redman LM, Martin CK. Effects of weight gain induced by controlled overfeeding on physical activity. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 2014;307:E1030-7. APSselect article. PMID: 25294214.
6. Apolzan JW, Bray GA, Hamilton MT, Zderic TW, Han H, Champagne CM, Shepard D, and CK Martin. Short-term overeating results in incomplete energy intake compensation regardless of energy density or macronutrient composition. Obesity 2013;22:119-130. PMID: 23912807
7. Apolzan JW and RBS Harris. Rapid onset and reversal of peripheral and central leptin resistance in rats offered chow, sucrose solution, and lard. Appetite 2013;60:65-73. PMID: 23022555
8. Harris RBS and Apolzan JW. Changes in glucose tolerance and leptin responsiveness of rats offered a choice of lard, sucrose and chow. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 2012;302:R1327-R1339. PMID: 22496363
9. Xing Y, Rainey WE, Apolzan JW, Francone OL, Harris RB, Bollag WB. Adrenal Cell Aldosterone Production Is Stimulated by Very-Low-Density Lipoprotein (VLDL). Endocrinology 2012;153:721-31. PMID: 22186415
10. Apolzan JW, Harris RB. Differential effects of chow and purified diet on the consumption of sucrose solution and lard and the development of obesity. Physiol Behav 2012;105:325-31. PMID: 21893075
11. Weaver CM, Campbell WW, Teegarden D, Craig BA, Martin BR, Singh R, Braun MM, Apolzan JW, Hannon TS, Schoeller DA, DiMeglio LA, Hickey Y, and Peacock M. Calcium, dairy products, and energy balance in overweight adolescents: a controlled trial. Am J Clin Nutr 2011;94:1163-70. PMID: 21918216
12. Apolzan JW, Leidy HJ, Mattes RD, Campbell WW. Effects of food form on food intake and postprandial appetite sensations, glucose and endocrine responses, and energy expenditure in resistance trained v. sedentary older adults. Br J Nutr 2011;106:1107-16. PMID: 19629055
13. Conley TB, Apolzan JW, Leidy HJ, Greaves KA, Lim E and Campbell WW. Effect of food form on postprandial plasma amino acid concentrations in older adults. Br J Nutr 2011; 106: 203-207. PMID: 21554804
14. Leidy HJ, Apolzan JW, Mattes RD, Campbell WW. Food form and portion size affect postprandial appetite sensations and hormonal responses in healthy, older adults. Obesity (Silver Spring) 2010;18:293-9. PMID: 19629055
15. Campbell WW, Haub MD, Wolfe RR, Ferrando AA, Sullivan DH, Apolzan JW, Iglay HB. Resistance Training Preserves Fat-free Mass Without Impacting Changes in Protein Metabolism After Weight Loss in Older Women. Obesity (Silver Spring) 2009;17:1332-9. PMID: 19247271
16. Iglay HB, Apolzan JW, Gerrard DE, Eash JK, Anderson JC, Campbell WW. Moderately increased protein intake predominately from egg sources does not influence whole body, regional, or muscle composition responses to resistance training in older people. J Nutr Health Aging 2009;13:108-14. PMID: 19214338
17. Apolzan JW, Flynn MG, McFarlin BK, Campbell WW. Age and physical activity status effects on appetite and mood state in adults. Appl Physiol Nutr Metab 2009;34:203-211. PMID: 19370051.
18. Stull AJ, Apolzan JW, Thalacker-Mercer AE, Iglay HB, Campbell WW. Liquid and solid meal replacement products differentially affect postprandial appetite and food intake in older humans. J Am Diet Assoc 2008;108:1226-1230. PMID: 18589034
19. Iglay HB, Thyfault JP, Apolzan JW, Campbell WW. Resistance training and dietary protein: effects on glucose tolerance and contents of skeletal muscle insulin signaling proteins in older persons. Am J Clin Nutr 2007;85:1005-13. PMID: 17413099
20. Apolzan JW, Carnell NS, Mattes RD, Campbell WW. Inadequate dietary protein increases hunger and desire to eat in younger and older men. J Nutr 2007;137:1478-82. PMID: 17513410