Owen Carmichael, PhD
Associate Professor/Director of Biomedical Imaging
Brain and Metabolism Imaging in Chronic Disease (BAMIC) Lab
| View CV
Ph.D. in Robotics, December 2003
Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA
B.S. with Honors in Electrical Engineering And Computer Science, May 1997
University Of California, Berkeley, CA
Developing new biomedical imaging techniques and applying them to brain aging and metabolic disorders.
1. Owen Carmichael, Jun Chen, Debashis Paul and Jie Peng. Diffusion tensor smoothing through weighted Karcher means. Electronic Journal of Statistics, v. 7, 1913-1956, 2013.
2. Jing Xie, Evan Fletcher, Baljeet Singh, Owen Carmichael. Robust Measurement of Individual Localized Changes to The Aging Hippocampus. Computer Vision and Image Understanding, Volume 117, Issue 9, September 2013, Pages 1128-1137.
3. Owen Carmichael, Donald G McLaren, Douglas Tommet, Dan Mungas, Richard N Jones. Coevolution of brain structures in amnestic mild cognitive impairment. Neuroimage, Volume 66, 1 February 2013, Pages 449456.
4. Pauline Maillard, Sudha Seshadri, Alexa Beiser, Jayandra Himali, Rhoda Au, Evan Fletcher, Owen Carmichael, Philip A Wolf, Charles DeCarli. Effects of systolic blood pressure on white-matter integrity in young adults in the Framingham Heart Study: a cross-sectional study. The Lancet Neurology, Volume 11, Issue 12, December 2012, Pages 10391047.
5. O Carmichael, Jing Xie, M.S.; Evan Fletcher, PhD; Baljeet Singh; Charles DeCarli; Alzheimer’s Disease Neuroimaging Initiative. Localized hippocampus measures are associated with Alzheimer pathology and cognition independent of total hippocampal volume. Neurobiology of Aging, 2012 Volume 33, Issue 6, Pages 1124.e31-1124.e41
6. Pauline Maillard, Evan Fletcher, Danielle Harvey, Owen T. Carmichael, Bruce Reed, Dan Mungas, Charles DeCarli. White Matter Hyperintensity Penumbra. Stroke, Jul;42(7):1917-22. 2011.
7. James T. Becker, Joanne Sanders, Sarah K. Madsen, Ann Ragin, Lawrence Kingsley, Victoria Maruca, Bruce Cohen, Karl Goodkin, Eileen Martin, Eric N. Miller, Ned Sacktor, Jeffery R. Alger, Peter B. Barker, Priyanka Saharan, Owen T. Carmichael, and Paul M. Thompson, for the Multicenter AIDS Cohort Study. Subcortical Brain Atrophy Persists Even in HAART-Regulated HIV Disease. Brain Imaging and Behavior, 2011 Jun;5(2):77-85.
8. Owen Carmichael, Christopher Schwarz, David Drucker, Evan Fletcher, Danielle Harvey, Laurel Beckett, Clifford R. Jack Jr., Michael Weiner, Charles DeCarli, and the Alzheimers Disease Neuroimaging Initiative. Longitudinal Changes In White Matter Disease and Cognition in the First Year of the Alzheimers Disease Neuroimaging Initiative. Archives of Neurology, 2010 Nov;67(11):1370-8.
9. A. Ho , J. Stein , X. Hua , S. Lee , D. Hibar , A. Leow , I. Dinov , A. Toga , A. Saykin , L. Shen , T. Foroud , N. Pankratz , M. Huentelman , D. Craig , J. Gerber , A. Allen , J. Corneveaux , D. Stephan , C. DeCarli , B. DeChairo , S. Potkin , C. Jack , M. Weiner , C. Raji , O. Lopez , J. Becker , O. Carmichael, P. Thompson. A commonly carried allele of the obesity-related FTO gene is associated with reduced brain volume in healthy elderly. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 2010 May 4;107(18):8404-9.
10. Owen Carmichael, Dan Mungas, Laurel Beckett, Danielle Harvey, Sarah T Farias, Bruce R Reed, John Olichney, Joshua W Miller, Charles DeCarli. MRI predictors of cognitive change in a diverse and carefully characterized elderly population. Neurobiology of Aging,2012 Jan; 33 (1): 83-95 .
11. J. Xie, D. A. Alcantara, N. Amenta, E. Fletcher, O. Martinez, M. Persianinova, C. DeCarli, and O. T. Carmichael. Spatially-Localized Hippocampal Shape Analysis in Late-Life Cognitive Decline. Hippocam- pus 2009 Jun;19(6):526-32.
12. P. Harris, D. A. Alcantara, N. Amenta, O. L. Lopez, G. Eiriksdottir, S. Sigurdsson, V. Gudnason, S. Madsen, P. M. Thompson, L. J. Launer, O. T. Carmichael, Localized Measures of Callosal Atrophy Are Associated with Late-Life Hypertension: AGES-Reykjavik Study. Neuroimage 43 (2008), pp. 489-496.
13. O. Carmichael, L. H. Kuller, O. L. Lopez, P. M. Thompson, R. A. Dutton, A. Lu, S. E. Lee, J. Y. Lee, H. J. Aizenstein, C. C. Meltzer, Y. Liu, A. W. Toga, J. T. Becker. Acceleration of cerebral ventricular expansion in the Cardiovascular Health Study. Neurobiology of Aging, September 2007; 28 (9): 1316-1321.
14. W. Dai, O. L. Lopez, O. T. Carmichael, J. T. Becker, L. H. Kuller, H. M. Gach. Abnormal regional cerebral blood flow in cognitively normal elderly subjects with hypertension. Stroke. 39(2):349-354, February 2008.
15. O. T. Carmichael, L. H. Kuller, O. L. Lopez, P. M. Thompson, R. A. Dutton, A. Lu, S. E. Lee, J. Y. Lee, H. J. Aizenstein, C. C. Meltzer, Y. Liu, A. W. Toga, J. T. Becker. Cerebral Ventricular Changes Associated With Transitions Between Normal Cognitive Function, Mild Cognitive Impairment, and Dementia. Alzheimer’s Disease and Associated Disorders, January/March 2007; 21(1):14-24.
16. O. Carmichael, L. H. Kuller, O. L. Lopez, P. M. Thompson, A. Lu, S. E. Lee, J. Y. Lee, H. J. Aizenstein, C. C. Meltzer, Y. Liu, A. W. Toga, J. T. Becker. Ventricular volume and dementia progression in the Cardiovascular Health Study. Neurobiology of Aging, V. 28 (3), February 2007, pp 389-397
17. O. Carmichael, H. J. Aizenstein, S. W. Davis, J. T. Becker, P. M. Thompson, C. C. Meltzer, Y. Liu. Atlas- Based Hippocampus Segmentation In Alzheimer’s Disease and Mild Cognitive Impairment. NeuroImage, V. 27 (4), October 2005, pp 979-990
18. O. Carmichael, M. Hebert, Shape-based Recognition Of Wiry Objects, IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence (PAMI), V. 25 (12), December 2004
19. W. T. Freeman, E.C. Pasztor, O. Carmichael. Learning Low-Level Vision. International Journal Of Computer Vision, V. 40 (1), October 2000, pp 25-47
20. Alex Tsui, Devin Fenton, Phong Vuong, Joel Hass, Patrice Koehl, Nina Amenta, David Coeurjolly, Charles DeCarli, Owen Carmichael. Globally optimal cortical surface matching with exact landmark correspon- dence. Proceedings of Information Processing in Medical Imaging (IPMI) 2013.
21. K. R. Beutner III, G. Prasad, E. Fletcher, C. DeCarli, O. T. Carmichael. Estimating Uncertainty in Brain Region Delineations. Proceedings of Information Processing in Medical Imaging (IPMI), 2009 (Acceptance Rate: 39%).
22. C. G. Schwarz, E. Fletcher, C. DeCarli, and O. T. Carmichael. Fully-Automated White Matter Hyper- intensity Detection With Anatomical Prior Knowledge and Without FLAIR. Proceedings of Information Processing in Medical Imaging (IPMI), 2009 (Acceptance Rate: 39%).
23. Jing He, Owen Carmichael, Evan Fletcher, Baljeet Singh, Ana-Maria Iosif, Oliver Martinez, Bruce Reed, Andy Yonelinas, Charles DeCarli. Influence of Functional Connectivity and Structural MRI Measures on Episodic Memory. Neurobiology of Aging, Volume 33, Issue 11, November 2012, Pages 26122620.
24. Pauline Maillard, Owen Carmichael, Evan Fletcher, Bruce R. Reed, Dan Mungas, and Charles S. DeCarli.Co-Evolution of White Matter Hyperintensities and Cognition in the Elderly Neurology July 31, 2012 vol. 79 no. 5 442-448
25. Dong Young Lee, Evan Fletcher, Oliver Martinez, Natalia Zozulya, Jane Kim, Jeannie Tran, Michael Buonocore, Owen Carmichael, Charles DeCarli. Vascular and degenerative processes differentially affect regional interhemispheric connections in normal aging, mild cognitive impairment, and Alzheimers disease. Stroke, 2010 Aug;41(8):1791-7.